Re: Newbie questions

seafh@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>>There's one thing about your post that no one has addressed ..... and
>>that is your
>>intention to arm your system only when you are not home.
>>
>>One question I always ask prospective clients when they suggest that is
>>If you had to choose a time .... to arm your system and you could only
>>choose one. Would you choose a time when you and your family were home
>>or when no one was home? (Hint) When are the most valuable things that
>>you have ....... there.? ie. Possessions can be replaced.
>>
>>I'd suggest that you try to watch that new program on TV.  "It takes a
>>thief"  Gives you somewhat of an idea of what it's like and how a
>>burglary is accomplished.
>

> Even though my primary concern is burglary while nobody's home,
> however, I suspect that once I learn more about the system, I may arm
> it at night.  That's how they show burglaries happening in many movies.
>  I guess that means you can arm the window/door sensors without arming
> the motion detector (which is more likely to get false trigger if the
> owner got up at night and forgot about it and tried to go downstairs
> and get something to drink)?

It's frequently called "Stay Arming".  Most modern security controls
employ a feature that allows you to selectively arm zones of protection.
  The "cheaper" wireless systems installed frequently as a "home
security package" incorporates one or two door sensors and a motion.
That works well for an apartment (where you may only have a single
access point from the hallway, but doesn't transfer well to a single
family dwelling where you may have multiple main and basement level
openings.  Security for your family should incorporate a full perimeter
system (where all the doors and windows are protected) and fire
detection.  Consider spending about $1500 to $2500 to achieve this (in a
modestly sized house).  An additional $300.00 if you wish to incorporate
another method of communicating alarms that doesn't involve standard
telephone lines (which you indicated was a concern).  Your family's
worth it.  Feel free to visit my FAQ's page at
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/faqs.htm where you'll find answers to
a number of your questions (it's strictly an information site).

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com