Re: Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

Mike wrote:
> "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> > What?? Am I the only one that still does windows?
> >
> Most of the companies I talked with say movement sensors are enough.  What's
> your opinion?
>
> Mike

Motion detectors are not a source of primary protection. First line of
defense is perimeter doors and windows. Next line of defense is motion
detectors which can be activated when you are not home. With motion
detectors only, how would you expect to arm your system and be able to
move around while you are home? The most important time to arm your
system is when you and your family are in it. With motion detectors
only, the intruder is already in your home before he's detected. If you
were breaking into a house and you opened a window or door and the
alarm tripped what would you do? If you were breaking into a house and
you opened a window or door and nothing happend, until you got all the
way in the house, do you think you'd stop and turn around or go for it.
Up to the master bedroom and out. What if you were home sleeping? Would
you want some to be detected after they had gained entry to to your
home?

It's all about obstacles. Good lighting. Keep shrubs low. Make the
house look lived in. Good security lighting. Good strong door and
window locks. THEN the alarm system is the back up for all that. Your
first goal is to keep them away from the house to begin with. An alarm
warning sign, or decals. With the perimiter of the house wired, they
know first thing that you've got an alarm. With motions only, someone
could get into the basement and wait for you to come home. If you're
going to have a security system don't skimp. No one can predict how
someone is going to attempt to gain entry.