Re: Thinking of installing myself...

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:01:23 -0500, Mike Sokoly <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Robert L Bass wrote:
>> You can DIY if you don't mind spending a little time learning about the various
>> options and how/where to use them.  It's not rocket science.  The wiring is 2
>> and 4-conductor stuff.
>
> Perhpas some knowledge of NFPA 70, Ohms and Kirchoff's Laws and
> Resistance and Voltage Drop would help. Proper wire sizing and Load
> calculation for battery Backup comes in to play, also.

The only things he needs to know about NFPA72 for a DIY residential alarm are
were to put smoke detectors and where and how loud the sirens need to be.  He'd
need to know Ohms laws to calculate wire sizes if the job was a large,
commercial structure.  I've installed hundreds of residential systems and smoke
detectors were *always* wired with 18/4 (I use it even for 2-conductor smokes
just in case I need an extra loop later).  Burg circuits invariably use 22/4
(same rule of thumb with 2-wire magnetic sensors).  Transformers and sirens use
18-gauge, stranded cable.  The ground wire is usually 14-gauge, stranded with a
green jacket.  Like I said before, this isn't rocket science.

> Do you understand the technologies and how and where
> to properly locate the devices?

It's pretty simple stuff.  Insert magnetic contacts in door and window frames.
Install pet resistant motion detectors in corners facing into the room (ie, not
at the windows) and not facing onto stairs or furniture onto which Fido is
likely to jump when the postman passes by.  Install glass breaks (if using
these) on any wall or ceiling opposite or adjacent to protected windows.

Install a minimum of one smoke on every living level (ie, not the attic or
garage).  Place one inside each bedroom (new construction).  Place another
outside the bedrooms and within 12 feet of each bedroom door.  Stay outside and
5' or more away from a bathroom with tub or shower and kitchen /laundry rooms.

If the furnace is separated from the rest of the basement, install an ROR-135
(not required but good to do) there.  Install a smoke at the top of every
stairway but at the bottom of the basement stairs.  Some locations can serve
more than one rule.  For example, if the 2nd floor bedroom hallway isn't very
long you can install one smoke there to fulfill the per floor, top of stairs and
outside bedroom requirements.

> If you do then go ahead- consider any False Alarm Prevention?

Now he does.  False alarm prevention might best handled by someone other than an
alarm installer.  The industry standard has been 98% false alarms for years.
The problem is compound -- poor quality equipment, bad installation practices
and lack of proper client training.  The latter is apparently the greatest issue
since the vast majority of false alarms are caused by user error.

One of the advantages of DIY is that the client becomes much better educated
about his alarm system, how it works and how to use it, than he would if he paid
a professional to install it for him.  It's somewhat analogous to learning to
get around a strange city.  When I started spending time in Brazil the first
thing I did was buy a car.  Salvador is an ancient city and the winding streets
are confusing even to the locals.  So I bought a map, asked directions from
people who have been here for a few years when necessary and started out.  In
short order I got to know my way around town better than many locals (who
invariably ride buses or taxis).

>> You can also install smoke, heat and carbon monoxide
>> detectors if those are a concern.
>
> Be careful- Are you aware of the wiring requirements?

I explained that in one short paragraph above.

> What about how they wil be reported to Central Station
> if you choose that?

Most of the alarm systems I sell online to do-it-yourselfers have software to
facilitate programming.  The selection of whether to be monitored is the
client's choice.  With a professional installation the choice is usually limited
to "Do you want it monitored" or "Go away.  We won't help you."

>> There are protocols to follow when installing fire
>> protection but the ones that apply to most single
>> family residential alarms are easily learned in a
>> few minutes.
>
> Most Local Laws allow you to install Battery-Type detectors
> in your own home- some prohibit "System -Type" to be
> installed by ANYONE othe than A Licensed Alarm Professional.

That is categorically false.  Please don't muddy a good thread with that sort of
false claim.

In the USA anyone can install smoke detectors, system or stand-alone, in his own
home.  Only those who do this for pay are required to be licensed.  The
licensing statutes are designed to protect the public from unscrupulous or
incompetent contractors.  They are not intended to prevent people from doing
their own work.

> If your considering 3rd Party monitoring- who will you
> get to monitor a system that they didn't install-or the
> liabilities that may occur?

There are numerous options.  One of them is a company called NextAlarm.  They
offer UL-listed monitoring through a network of associated monitoring facilities
around the country.  IIRC, they charge $8.99 a month (less than a third what
many professional installers charge) for the same services the pros use.

Note that most independent alarm installing companies do not operate their own
central stations.  The work is farmed out to large, regional central stations
(aka "third party monitoring" companies).  The CS charges the dealer anywhere
from $2 to $7 a month for their services.  The CS usually provides the dealer
with professionally drawn contracts which protect both dealer and CS from
liability if they screw up.  Some will accept the dealer's own contract if it
has the proper verbiage.  The dealers then resell the service which costs them
$2-7 a month for anywhere between $20 and $40 a month to the public.

This makes a very nice source of recurring monthly revenue for the dealer.
After a few years a dealer may have several thousand accounts, each profiting
him $13 to $38 a month.  This makes a very strong incentive for the dealer to
discourage people from DIY and for insisting that all their installations
include a multi-year monitoring contract.

The above isn't a slam against dealers.  It's just a factual explanation of the
monitoring profit center and why it motivates those who sell installed systems.
The problem for the consumer is that the dealer may or may not be very talented.
His crew might be well-trained or they might be hacks picked up at the
unemployment line.  The problem is that the customer has no way to know whether
the dealer in his living room is a good guy or a dolt.  Most are decent, honest
people and most try their best to provide good service.  Others unfortunately
are quite the opposite.

At least with DIY the customer knows that the person doing the installation is
only interested in doing the best job he can.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.