Re: Commercial Alarm - help

West Hartford, CT had a very effective ordinance & program for false
alarm reduction some years ago.

There was a civilian PD employee who maintained the database of alarm
licenses (cheap, one-time, required fee).  The first four FA's in a
year brought notices to the door.  The notices included information on
the circumstances surounding the false alarm event -- wind, weather,
open door or window, observed loos pets inside, etc.  The fourth event
imcluded a warning that further false alarms would each bring a $50
fine (I think that was the amount).  The tenth and succeessive events
cost $100.

Along with the license fees and fines which partially paid for the
program, there was a serious effort to educate alarm users.  The alarm
company would receive a copy of each notice to the end user as well.
This helped us to spot patterns of misuse by specific clients and teach
them how to better use their systems.

The last I heard the program was still working and the FA problem,
while still an issue had been significantly reduced.

The interesting thing about the W Hartford ordinance is it was strongly
supported by alarm users -- not just the police and fire departments.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com