Re: ASA re-visited

Jim wrote:

> All I can say .....no.... wait..... all I WILL say .... is that YOU
> should take the time to go back in THIS groups archives before you make
> any suggestions at ALL about how to cure the ills of this group.

Done.

> YOU have no idea what an isidious, malicious SOB Bass is. All of the
> ignoring in the world is not going to stop this nasty, spiteful, and
> vidictive degenerate.

Perhaps, but do you really feel any better now, having called him these
things?

> You will please note, that ignoring most of the items in this list
> simply empowers him to accomplish his goal of exploiting this Newsgroup
> for his own personal gain.

I disagree, though I also don't believe you've given the approach a fair
chance.

> His mantra is, "this is an alt group. You can't tell anyone what to do
> here. If you don't like it, you can leave"

On that count, I'm afraid, unless the a new moderated group is created
and traffic is moved to that group (very difficult to accomplish,
rendering this "probably not worth trying") he's right.  It *is* an
alt.* newsgroup, and it isn't moderated.  Someone coming to this
newsgroup for free advice needs to be prepared to get what they pay for.

> He uses this group as a fourm to sell his products to end users,
> SPECIFICALLY against the FAQ.

An FAQ is not a group charter.  Is there a charter for the group?  If
so, is it posted to the group on a regular basis?

> ... Now THAT's only SOME of the things that he's done here.

But why are you trying to convince me that he should be banned from the
group?  (perhaps you're not, but your message comes off sounding as
though you are.)  I can be just as careful taking his advice as I am
taking anyone else's.

> Take a good look at that list and tell me what ignoring is going to do?

It will bring you to accept the participants in this newsgroup, and the
newsgroup itself, for what they are.  Is your professional reputation
worth continuing trying to harm his?

> Ignoring simply leaves him free to do what he does and end users,
> being none the wiser, are taken in by his lies and misdirection and
> "willingness" to help them.

You may be underestimating end users.  Certainly I don't imagine that
I'm an example of the average, but I also don't imagine that the average
are not careful enough to consider more than one opinion when seeking
free advice, then applying some common sense in deciding which opinion
to follow if there are contradictions.

> ... he may very well give them everything he says he will, but at
> the expense of the all the people he's stepped on in the meantime.

Are you perhaps one of those people he's stepped on?  If not, please
forgive my asking, because it seems as though you feel you are.  If so,
one can hardly accept your points as being unbiased.

> the others who frequent the group are ALSO helping the end users and
> HE'S using that information to enhance his ability to make a sale.

Had I come in here to determine whose services to hire, I admit that his
would not be near the top of my list, but to be quite frank, neither
would yours.

> So ........Tell me now ........ did you want to re-think your advice
> on what to do about Bass?

No, but I don't believe I've convinced you either.  Your question above,
and in fact your entire post, makes it clear that for you this has
become a personal matter.  A newsgroup should not be permitted to become
personal.

> How does one ignore a malignant, sinister SOB like that?

One does not let the newsgroup become personal.

> You're post is nice ....... And I know you're just trying to be
> helpful ....... but .......... it's worthless in view of the deliberate
> disrupting conduct of the villan we're dealing with.

I would argue that your approach is no less disruptive.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Systems and Network analyst                       Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada