Re: IS this overkill

It still won't resolve the problem of the cut connection to the central
station, but some security enhancement can be achieved by bundling (ideally
in one jacket) a 24 hr-zoned loop wire together with the phone line.  Now,
if the combined phone/loop wire is cut it will set off the alarm
immediately.