Re: Rogers dropping usenet

On 2 Dec 2005 16:51:24 -0800, mikey said...

>Yuck. I'm trying the google groups and it seems a step backwards.
>I was using the Microsoft newsreader and it was straight-forward and
>quick
>whatthefuck?
>are there any other alternatives out there similar to what I'm used to?

Hi mikey,

Sorry to hear about the issue with Rogers. Not sure what prompted them to drop
the newsgroups, but in most cases it has to do with the tremendous amount of
traffic that Usenet draws, rather than a lack of activity as they've noted.

We've been providing Usenet services since 1992, and we've seen a continued
growth in the community... posts, users, etc... with each passing year.

Not sure if a paid alternative would be of interest to you, but NewsGuy.Com is
currently offering a special to displaced Usenet users at Rogers.

If you purchase any of our Usenet newsgroup accounts, we'll add 1-month of free
service to that account...

http://newsguy.com/rogers.htm

Our members can connect to the newsgroups with their favorite NNTP newsreader
(Agent, Xnews, OE, etc.) or they can use our Web-News interface. The interface
includes a Thumbnail Viewer, BatchDownload manager, and enables members to
download the smaller/decoded version of newsgroup files.

We offer account types with different download capacities (3GB, 15GB, 30GB), and
account fees that are as low as $3.95/month. We also offer a free 2-day trial
that allows visitors to check out the service without any cost or obligation. If
you have questions about any of the above, feel free to email
(bob@xxxxxxxxxxx) or phone us toll-free (1-866-4USENET).

Best regards,
Bob@xxxxxxxxxxx
NewsGuy.Com