Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

R.H.Campbell wrote:
> Actually Frank, I expect the best approach might be the one that a local
> company uses here. They offer ALL payment alternatives to their customers,
> from:
>
> 1- leasing the hardware and a middle of the road price for the ongoing
> 2- buying the equipment at varying prices depending upon how long a contract
> they want to sign for (1,2,3 or 5 years)
> 3- full price up front with no long term commitments (like I do). (I do know
> their up front price is a little bit higher than mine though)
> 4- Major high price up front and no monitoring at all (BIG TIME cost up
> front...)
>
> If their pricing is right, I expect they make money on all alternatives. I'd
> be curious to know which options sell the best (likely the ones that pay
> their salesmen the most...:)) But at least they are able to cater to all
> crowds with this approach
>
> And...OK.....my apologies to anyone that feels offended by my opinions on
> contracts. No intention along those lines was ever meant; however, free
> discussion is what a newsgroup is all about. Ideas should stand or fall on
> their merit, not be muzzled into silence because some participants don't
> agree with them !!

No one is "offened" by your opinions on contracts.

What IS offensive is you comments implying or actually stating that the
use of long term comtracts is a scam and an unneccessary requirement
and that companies that use them are out to cheat the end users. You
never indicate that the intent of contracts is for a company to build
equity in their business. What the problem is ....is that every time
you mention to an end user that contracts are a scam, you would have to
write three or four paragraphs of explanation of the history, the
purpose, the intention and the results of what long term contracts mean
and how they may or may not affect the price of a job. For instance,
today, my installations are going for not too much more than they were
25 years ago. Why is that? Because now there are long term contracts
that companies use to amortize the cost of a job. (And I'm not talking
about the Freebe systems either)How does that make a long term
agreement not a legitimate part of doing business. If that's not a fair
trade off, I don't know what is. And if one ignores that part of the
pricing of a job, they'll never be competitive. Yet you don't mention
that and wouldn't.  You can't possibly cover all the contingencies and
exceptions as part of your "long term contracts are a scam" statement
to end users. And if you don't, then it's simply an insult sounding
HARP by you.

You've got no obligation to sway any end user or alarm installer who
comes here to your way of doing business. Trying to do so in view of
the fact that what you do is not the way everyone else does business,
simply appears as an " I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks or
who I insult, I'm gonna do it anyway ......... attitude.

> But to keep a little peace on the newsgroup, I'll tone it down a bit (but
> just a bit...).....quack, quack....:)))

Problem is you may have a "bill" to pay that you don't want to. And
that would be peace in this group.