Latest message you have seen: File - groupmoving.txt

Re: xPL Frontend concept?

This kind of thing could be useful to create customised home-control
menu screens for MVPs or MediaPortal too.  I've been thinking of
something along these lines, although my plan involved sending xPL
messages in response to keypresses, rather than the direct link to xPLHal.

To be of most use, each control would have to work both via a direct
press from a mouse, touchscreen etc or by use of the direction keys and
select button on a remote (so you would need to be able to define links
between buttons).

I envisaged the following button types:

Action - when clicked triggers sends an xPL message.
Link - takes you to another page of menu options
Prev - goes to the previous page
Next - goes to the next page (presuming you have been pressing prev to
move back through the history)
Home - returns to the main menu page.

That would give simple remote control capabilities.
If we add status tracking, then static images chosen according to state
(such as light on / light off) would be possible.
Also, static text, sliders and spin controls for entering numbers (such
as on/off times for CH or irrigation) would be useful, and perhaps a
combined control allowing the selection of days of the week (to set
irrigation days for example), although that could be built from the
basic buttons.

Obviousky there would need to be an editor, but that shouldn't be too
hard to make.  I'd have one large window representing a menu page, along
with  a list of thumbnails to let you switch pages, plus a button editor
dialog, to define the action, message, button artwork etc).  The menu
definition created in the editor would be written out as an XML file
that any of our apps could read and use to display xPL menus in a
consistant manner.

It did occur to me that maybe we could define menus in HTML, and use the
Mozilla rendering engine to display it, but I don't know if it would be
possible to define the links required for the up/down/left/right/select
method that would needed to allow control on an MVP or MediaPortal.

Mal

Ian Lowe wrote:

> Sounds rather cool Adrian - I was mulling over a similar concept,
> essentially looking at an app which has a "toolbox" of
various graphical
> controls (dimmers, knobs, buttons etc) that could be picked up in this
> way - basically a kind of intelligent paint app for creating screens
> that could then be loaded up as an entity.
>
> In theory you could have templates for each of the common screen sizes
-
> ipaq/laptop/touchscreen etc. you could also have transparent or clear
> buttons (so you could have a really classy background image nicely
> drawn, and simply mark out "hotspots" for where controls go.
>
> How this fits with xPL - very nicely actually :)
>
> The same xml plugins that allow xplhal manager to use determinators
> could easily be used to attach xPL "commands" on to the
buttons - If the
> frontend app talked XHCP to an xplhal server, then you could populate
> the screen labels etc with the value of global variables, or for that
> matter run either scripts or determinators on the xplhal server.
>
> This is worth taking forward I think - I'm also a VB6 (trying to move
> .NET) programmer, so we could probably work something out.

settings

Post a Message: ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx To