Latest message you have seen: RE: xPL Project Migrating away from Yahoo Groups.

Re: exec.basic - comments please

My view on the "xpl-virus": the only concern is rogue xpl-packets
entering the "secured" network.  That is why ListenTo was
introduced.
A rogue xpl-application inside the network would be a very inefficient
thing... it could just call format c: directly.
So I don't think we need lists of allowed programs etcetera.  Keep it
simple.

Another point: please send out log.basic messages when the launched
application returns an error.  We should try to make more use of this
schema so that all xpl applications (or applications launched via xpl)
log to some central point (by using the xpllogger f.e.).  It makes
maintenance a lot easier.

Tom

On 10/26/05, Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gerry Duprey wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > >     pid=num       //integer identifier (<2^32)
> >
> > Based on the comments below, any reason the pid has to be a
number?
> > Since
> > it's meant to just be a unique identifier, why not let it be
whatever the
> > initiator wants.  If they want a number, great.  If they want to
use the
> > name of the program as a pid, great.  They important point, to
me, is
> > that
> > it's some sort of unique identifier with meaning only to the
initiator
> > and
> > as such, the xplExec service shouldn't impose any meaning (even
that
> > it has
> > to be numeric) on it -- just record it and spit it back in
> > status/trigger notes.
> >
> Seems completely reasonable to me - but I'll still include the program
> name in the status message too.
>
> > > Program is the name of the executable file to run, without
any path.

> > Hmmm, I agree about the possibility of running unwanted programs.
> > Perhaps
> > the xPLExec program could have a series of config items that
either
> > listed
> > all possible executable programs (i.e. if the program is not
listed, it
> > can't be run) or something like that.  I suspect being able to
run an
> > arbitrary program isn't going to be a great thing, and the actual
> > number of
> > programs to run is probably pretty low.
> >
> The way I see the security issue is that there are two ways to attack
> via xPL.  One is via open ports from the internet, the other is by
> installing a rogue application.  I don't think we should concern
> ourselves with rogue applications since they can run other programs
> directly - they don't need xPL to do it for them!  In any case, an
> xPL-specific virus will know where to look for any list of trusted
> programs we try to create.
>
> As for the internet attack route - isn't that what the ListenTo
> addresses are there to prevent?
>
> 8< snip
>

> > Hmmm, in the interests of cross platform use of this schema,
perhaps the
> > actual error message contents shouldn't be declared here.
Different O/Ss
> > are going to have different failure codes/descriptions and they
may
> > not be
> > mappable (and in the case of a Java version, you'd have to build
in every
> > conceivable platforms mappings so it could be cross platform and
sort of
> > kills the xplatform idea :-)  Having an error message item is
good as the
> > initiator can use it to log a message, display an error, etc.
But other