Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Hi, and Patrick Lidstone website

Re: Heartbeat stopped messages

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:57:38 +0000, mcs101main@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In my opinion there should be some mechanism at the protocol level
whereby a node can notify that it is degraded.

--

That would be useful. But there are so many possibilities for
degradation that are application or device specific. A RR might be

>  It can be relegated to a lower level class, but it seems that the
periodic heartbeat exists solely for the purpose of knowing the availabilty
of a function.  A function that can respond to a hearbeat, but cannot
perform is primary function should not show up on the network the same as a
fully functional node.

--

The h/b is saying that the device or app is still around rather than
individual functions (subaddresses perhaps?) of the device. It does

xap-hbeat
{
}
Heartbeat
{
01=OK
02=Disconnected
03=Not Responding
04=OK
}

>  A node could also exit when it recognizes that it is degraded, but
then the system would not know that a problem exists and maintenance is
required.

--

It could also send out xAP.Error messages when problems occur. A
diagnostic monitor (such as Viewer in a future update) could track

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/