Latest message you have seen: Re: Proposal / RFC: Change xAP wire format

Re: xAP-Update or config and a tad on discovery - long

  • Subject: Re: xAP-Update or config and a tad on discovery - long
  • From: i.bird@xxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:50:00 +0000

Hi Stuart

>Does the RB3_1Controller only send a h/b once it receives a Respond
>command or is it pumping them out using some default parameters as
>soon as it 'boots'?
It sends heartbeats in the normal way - on startup and at 5 mninute
intervals by default. The interval is user configurable. The respond
command is a way of forcing a heartbeat on demand.

>What's this block name of "*." ? I've not seen that before! I
noticed
>also that you use:
This is me being lazy in my test application. I don't check these values so
I have not bothered to fill them in correctly. I only check the class and
target fields plus some fixed text on the inbound header.

>PROTOTYPE.
Err, shouldn't be like this and the reason is the same as above. Not
checked so not bothered to be filled in (hangs his head in shame). In my
defense though outbound messages are correct.

>Could I combine these parameters into a single message do you think? I
>don't see why not myself. I guess these messages could also arrive at
>absolutely any time, or do you somehow switch a device into
>configuration mode?
I won't support the combining of xAP-Update parameters in a single message
(I don't think) as it will possibly blow the buffer size I have available.
The updates are done in real time and do not need the device to be
restarted or anything. Other than that no objections.

>Did you manage to get this going? I'm curious to know what it responds
>with when the RB3_1Controller receives Type=Detail.
Esentially it gives details all the details about the unit e.g. subinstance
names, serial number, number of fitted outputs etc. Everything you can
think of that is not in a normal status reply. It does not include the
output states etc. and yes it works a treat.

>This is a custom field. Is Class=xAP-Update.Master a base class in
>this case, with custom fields like RBSerialNumber above a sub-class
>(were we to implement class inheritance - something I find very
>appealing, but that may be because of my OO mindset)?
Errr, someone said use Class=xAP-Update.Master for updates to the unit and
I have done just that. Didn't think too hard about it - sorry.

>I wonder if this flows into your and Kevin's recent discussions on
>including the subaddress value as the name item in a name/value pair:
>
>{
>TableLamp=On
>HallwayLight=Off
>}
>
>Rather than:
>
>{
>Device=TableLamp
>Status=On
>}
>
>The former makes the schema's a lot more fluid and non-specific, but
>it is compact and extremely readable.

Yes it does flow into recent conversations. Both Kevin and I decided we
have a mixture of things like TableLamp=On where the target is in the body
and value=On where the target is in the header. Apparently the spec allows
some rather odd mixes here and it is something we have to visit and decide
on for the basic schema. Better also make sure we are all singing from the
same hymn book for other schemas too.

>even though I'm not
>aware of a single person actually using any of my xAPFramework!! :lol:
It'll happen. I may even get onto it myself but it won't for a long time
given my workload at the moment.

Keep up the good work. It will come toghether soon and probably all at
once.

Ian