Latest message you have seen: Re: Vendor ID

Bogus UID xx000000

  • Subject: Bogus UID xx000000
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:03:00 +0000

I have been looking at some xPL /xAP bridging issues and I would like to
suggest that a UID of xx000000 be allocated a meaning of 'does not support
UID'. Really this comes about because when messages are sourced from xPL
they have no UID and so an artificial one has to be generated - rather than
some laborious allocation table for every xPL source I think allocating
this
meaning clarifies and simplifies the issue. Therefore there may be many
different sources using the same UID of xx000000.

00xxxxxx and xx0000xx are already reserved in the xAP spec. As is xxFFFFxx.

The first two digits I think should still represent the network - so a
normal UID would be FF000000 - or actually because this is a remote network
(bridged) maybe it should be FE000000 or something. The network ID may have
to be different to route messages.

Any comments ??