Latest message you have seen: Re: HomeSeer and xAP

Re: problem with multiple nics

Oh dear, multiple NICs always seem to cause my xAPps a fair amount of
problem no matter what I do about it. I have 3 NICs in my PC but the
first NIC is the primary and everything ... 'just works' :(

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:04:36 +0100 (CET), Pierre Schmitz
<pierre_schmitz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have a Windows XP SP2 PC with 2 nics:
>- a "real" nic with the ip 192.168.1.19 (eth1)
>- a virtual nic which is generated and used by a
>videodriver 192.168.238.20 (eth0)
>
>As the virtual nic (eth0) is the first in the list,
>all applications seem to bind automatcally to the
>wrong IP adress.

That is indeed how xFx xAPplications work. Given no additional
information it defaults to the first in the list. You use the
xAPListeningIP address to force it onto one of the others.

>I use Stuart Booth's GUI hub, which is running on the
>correct adress by adding the following lines to the
>configuration file:
><add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="192.168.1.19"
/>
><add key="xAPListeningIP" value="192.168.1.19"
/>

Have you tried removing that xAPBroadcastIP setting? Although I can't
recall how it'll affect things exactly. I think that setting above
will mean that other xAP devices on the network will be deaf to output
from the Hub (although the Hub Clients should still receive
successfully)

xAPListeningIP should do everything you need as I think it 'guides'
the broadcast transmission of outgoing xAP messages.

Comment out or rename xAPBoardcastIP to something different such that
xFx doesn't pick it up.

>When I start a new xAP application (tried it with xAP
>Speech and xAP Floorplan), the application connects to
>the hub (the hub receives the heartbeat and is
>forwarding it),

Do Hub and Viewer dance together successfully?

Both will require the xAPListeningIP value configured. They don't have
a neat GUI way of configuring that setting. I always end up forgetting
to add that one in.

>but the application doesn't receive
>any message from the hub. The heartbeat is als
>received from 192.168.238.20:49153 (wrong adress).

That does appear to suggest that the other xAPplication is using the
wrong NIC.

In my quick test just now (with 2 Viewer sessions) I can see them all
sitting around on 192.168.1.12:5200x

>My guess is that the xAP Speech application binds to
>the wrong IP adress (how could I change the it?) but
>somehow connects to the hub. The hub then can't
>connect to the "wrong" IP adress.

You could try forcing xAPBroadcastIP to:

<add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="192.168.1.255"
/>

or even:

<add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="255.255.255.255"
/>

The latter setting will force xFx to transmit on all network addresses
I believe.

Depending on the build of the Hub application xFx may or may not
already use the former setting IFF you remove your own value from the
config file, hence the suggestion earlier on to remove it entirely.

Potted Summary:
1. Remove xAPBroadcastIP from the config file.
2. Do Hub + Viewer talk to each other successfully?

HTH,

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/