Re: Network

My system's a mix of CAT6a/FTP and CAT5e/STP, and I have three wiring
cabinets (one per floor) plus a master node in the plant room. So about 250
patches in total. The cabling carries alarm contacts, fire alarm data, 1G
Ethernet, MODBUS, DMX and 1-wire.

I understand the sentiment about the home structured wiring systems being
expensive and over-blown. I've used standard wall-mount 19" and
10" racks with standard network/keystone patch panels, and large
(500x700) IP65 metal equipment boxes for the DIN HA stuff, sometimes with
the 19" patch panels inside the boxes where space is tight.

I've used these guys for most of my patch panel needs - they seem pretty
competitive for the patch panels and leads, although the CAT6a keystone
jacks are cheaper to buy in quantity from Hong Kong...

http://www.cabcononline.co.uk

Disclaimer: I've bought a lot of this kit, but it's not completely
commissioned. So I can't confirm quality yet, although it looks good.

Cheers,
Andy Ward.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Bryan Smith <bryan@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> "Flood-wire with data cable" is the constant advice offered
to folks
> like me who are engaged in a major refurbishment, so that's exactly
what
> I have done - 30 lines of cat6 to a centrally located cupboard on the
> first floor. I have also bought a 3+8 PABX and a distribution
amplifier
> (Labgear HDU681S) for the TV. There is a brand new TV aerial whose
> cableemerges in N0, as does the telephone line. I intend to use the
Cat6
> for the telephones with little BT to RJ45 adaptor cable thingies at
the
> points of use.
>
> N0 is surrounded by foil faced thermal insulation, so I intend to
mount
> my Netgear DGN1000 modem router just below the first floor in an
> under-stair cupboard in the hope that my grandsons will be able to
> connect with their mobile devices. The under-stair cupboard is
furnished
> with a power point, a Cat6 and a telephone cable from N0.
>
> So far so good - I hope. I think I now need to install a patch panel.
> Please can anyone recommend an affordable way to do this. What is the
> minimum kit that I need? I think I may also need a switch - managed? -
> gigabit?
>
> I am still unsure why I am doing all this - I certainly can't afford
> proprietary AV distribution systems and I can't see how to do AV
myself.

> Have I lost the plot? Any advice will be appreciated.
> --
> Best regards,
> Bryan Smith

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums