Re: LinkUSB 1-wire controller & virtual machines...

  • Subject: Re: LinkUSB 1-wire controller & virtual machines...
  • From: "leewild80" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 08:35:54 -0000

Thanks Kyle

I tried that, removed the drivers, and tried to associate the USB device
(FTDI FT232R UART) in both VMware Player, and VirtualBox, both of which
failed.

I wonder if I could reinstall the drivers, associate the com port with the
VM, and attach owfs to that in the guest OS ?

My reason for getting it working under a Windows host OS, is that I thought
a VM containing everything needed to monitor/log/graph temps could have a
number of uses where I work, and it would be useful to be able to deploy it
easily on existing Windows PCs for non OS-savvy users without having to get
extra machines to run Linux (there's a drive to reduce PC usage at the
moment).
At home, I can of course tinker with Linux to my heart's content !

Cheers
Lee

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kyle Gordon <kyle@...> wrote:

> Is maybe Windows setting up a COM port on the serial interface, and
> refusing to give it up? Try uninstalling the drivers from the device
in
> Windows, and unplug and plug back in. When prompted to install
drivers,
> skip it all or abort the process.
>
> Hopefully that will leave an unconfigured USB device that can be
> associated with VMWare or Virtualbox.
>
> Alternatively, use Linux as a host OS. USB devices in Virtualbox Just
> Work(tm) :)
>
> Kyel
>
> On 11/01/11 14:09, leewild80 wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Has anyone successfully got a LinkUSB 1-wire controller working
under a VM ?

> > I've not had any luck so far.
> >
> > I created a new CentOS 5.5 guest VM on a Windows XP host (using
latest VMWare Player).
> > When I connect the LinkUSB to the host, it sets up the drivers.
> > But if I try and connect the "FTDI FT232R Uart" USB
device to the guest, it just results in an error, and the guest never sees
it.

> > I wondered if this was a VMWare issue, so I used the OVFTool
utility to convert to OVF, installed the latest VirtualBox, and tried
importing the image.
> > Image runs up fine in VirtualBox 4, but again I get an error when
I try and connect the "FTDI FT232R Uart" USB device.
> > VirtualBox gives an error message:
> > Failed to attach the USB device "Unknown Device" to the
virtual machine.