Re: x10 vs Consumer Unit

Hi John,

I=92m not an expert =96 just passing on my own experiences of X10 :-)

I think it is =93usual=94 to be able to pass X10 through a consumer unit =
=96 e.g.
I have a mini-timer on one circuit with a variety of X10 modules (plug-in
and hardwired) on different circuits from the consumer unit for controlling
christmas lights.

What I have found though is that X10 can be sensitive to noise so I have
had to experiment with the best place for the mini-timer. I=92ve got some
lights controlled with a module in an outside shed and with the mini-timer
in its normal position (node zero) they refused to operate. Moving the
controller closer to the consumer unit has helped and now all my snowmen
and trees etc. switch on & off on as planned :-)

I suspect it=92s either my PS3, or LCD TV, or both putting some noise out
onto the mains and I haven=92t bothered getting a noise filter to fix it
properly. It=92s only really an issue at this time of year when all the
xma=
lights are up! I have had some success in the past supressing noise by
plugging the offending item into a surge protected power strip.

Perhaps you could try moving your CM12 to a different socket on the ring,
maybe closer to the consumer unit and/or further away from potential noise
sources.

HTH,

Tim.

On 19 December 2011 16:55, John Murray <John@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looking for some help:
>
> I have a fairly standard single phase consumer unit in my utility room
at
> home with separate circuit breakers for kitchen sockets, downstairs
> sockets,
> downstairs lights, upstairs sockets etc.  I use x10 modules in the
lounge
> control lamps and games consoles etc, but cannot use the x10 outside
of t=
he
> downstairs sockets ring where my CM12U controller is plugged in.  I'd
lov=
> to be able to control 'downstairs lights', or 'kitchen sockets', but
can'=
t.