Re: barcode / QR code usage?

  • Subject: Re: barcode / QR code usage?
  • From: "draxwyn" <draxwyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:35:48 -0000

Hi Paul,

You could try this barcode font (not tested it myself);

http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/

A company I used to work for did a similar thing with notepad; type in
text/numbers and then change the font to a barcode one and print, they
could use that with a range of scaners they had around the factory.

Just follow the instructions of adding the leading and trailing '*'
character to the string to convert ;)

~D

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@...> wrote:

> Chaps, I have a potential need to be able to both generate custom
content into a machine readable (but not human readable) form, and to also
be able to scan & decode it, so pretty much I want to be able to
generate my own "barcodes" & read them back...

> I want the reader to be an iPhone... - there are a plethora of barcode
/ QR code reading apps available for this platform... - the majority do
however seem to be focussed on the price-comparison aspect, - i.e. scan a
product barcode in a shop, & it goes online to seek out the best
price... - I'm not interested in that, I just want to scan a code &
have the data presented as plain human readable text on the screen...

> The other side of the equation is I want to be able to produce the
codes from (preferably) MS Word documents, ideally by typing a short block
of text as normal, and then just changing the font to convert it to a code
that can then be printed...

> Oh, and because this is a project for a local voluntary organisation,
it all has to be free!...

> Does anybody *already* do anything like this to save me ploughing
through lots of research to get to a workable solution?

> I understand some of the main commercial barcodes only support a
fixed, (and small) number of characters in the code.. - i.e.. 8 or 13
characters for EAN-8 or EAN-13 and so on... this probably wouldn't be
enough for my needs, I'd like to be able to use about 25 ish characters per
code if possible...

> I don't especially care what *kind* of code it is... I'm happy to use
any barcode/QR code type system, just so long as I can produce them from MS
word, read them on an iPhone, and give them out to people who can't easily
decipher them...

> I'd appreciate any suggestions/opinons on specific products...
>
> TIA
>
> Paul G.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums