Re: VMware - Call me thick

Hi,

I started to look into WHS and VMs as part of my series of writeups about
WHS last year in the forum.

I tried VMWare ESXi as a bare metal Hypervisor on a ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo M/B
similar to Mark's WHS one that started my articles. The big problem was
device drivers. I couldn't even get it to install cleanly.

I also tried various MS "solutions" (virtual PC, Virtual Server)
normally
under XP x64 as I had 6Gb RAM. Disappointing.

The standalone version of HYPER-V (free) looked very good but was a real
pain to set up. The best one was a 120day trial of Server 2008 R2 in which
I'd hoped to set up the VMs and then move them to the free product once up
and going. Won't do the PCI stuff (yet?) but does the disk passthrough.
Would be nice to get USB for a TV dongle and feed it to another guest which
may be coming with Server R2 SP1. I've done lots of fall-back, failure and
performance testing and it looks viable. One of the issues is that the
guest
can't access the SMART info on the drives - I  need to do some more testing
in this area as it may be a feature of the SiL SATA card/Port Multipliers.

Well the machine still has the multi-boot partitions for this testing. The
120day trial is still running with the /REARM option although it is shortly
going to expire. I may look at ESXi again if someone can suggest how to
find
drivers.

I'm sorry I didn't finish the series as I ran out of time. Totally out of
the blue I got a job (with a much longer commute) so future articles and
even the build have stalled. Maybe one day .....

Simon

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> First obstacle is to determine *which* VMware products support it, and
> therefore if it's actually available to us mere mortals who just use
the
> free products...
>

> P.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums