Re: Like an Ipad

I have an Advent Vega.

Out of the box - rather disappointing; No "Market" - which is
really daft,
IMHO. Touch response was also poor - akin to the =A360 Chinese import
7"
Android device I picked up several months ago (and found unusable for all
but the simplest of tasks).

However........(And this is part anecdotal, part seeing how someone else
ha=
got on with his (from the same batch) as I've not had time to do any more
with mine yet).....

...After removing the protective film, spend a long time cleaning the
screen. Then clean it again, and again - - then touch is a little better.

Install the .6 update/rom that's linked from "myvega" on the home
screen - =
-
makes ~20% better.

Install "market" via one of the many home-brew (that seem to be
semi
supported!) sites - - I'll post links if needed (and allowed).

Download "Better Keyboard" - it's available as a trial, but
definitely wort=
paying for. It does what it says on the tin, plus a whole lot more!! Once
this was installed, the Vega was *easily* as responsive as an iPad!!!! It
clearly does more than just the OSK - - scrolling / selecting everywhere
wa=
MUCH more responsive; no pressure needed - a real pleasure to use - -
completely different beast to what was originally shipped!

If anything, it is a little *too* sensitive - - sometimes detecting a click
/ keystroke when one simply hovers close to the screen - - -- though rapid
typing (instead of 'hunt and peck') solves the keystroke issue.

I feel that with a good screen protector* on top, this will be a very good
tablet, resolving the "over-sensitive" issue.

*N.B. DO NOT waste money on the official Advent Screen Protector!!  It's
matte/frosted (no problem with that)......except.....there's no cut-out for
the camera - - - so any photo/video looks like it's taken in heavy fog!!
*very* silly mistake for them to make - - - and if you try to cut your own,
it spoils the area around it...poor show Advent!

Advent Vega - If you can find stock available for <=A3300 - grab one, as
long as you're prepared to do some work getting it just right.

No affiliation, info based on checking in periodically with a friend who's
done all the grunt work.

Oh - there's no case supplied in box - - that's an extra =A330 - - but well
worth the money.

Now, these Viewsonics sound like fun.................;-)

R.

On 27 December 2010 17:54, Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> We've got a couple of the viewsonics at work for evaluation for an
intern=
al
> project - seems a good little unit but not as slick as the iPad.
>
> Phil
>
> Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...
>

> On 27 Dec 2010, at 13:34, "Tim"
<tim@xxxxxxx<tim%40timfletcher.co=
m>>
> wrote:
>
> > Happy Christmass guys - now the turkey is over its time to start
thinki=
ng
> about swapping those ties, socks etc. for something we really want.
> >
> > I played with an Ipad the other day and have to say I really
liked it,
> and wouldn't mind one if it didn't contravene one of my ten
commandments
> (never buy a Mac, always have 4 copies of important (and trivial)
data,
> never buy a thatched house, never live in in a house on a floodplain
etc.=
)
> So without wishing to start WWIII over The Federation vs the Rebel
Forces
> has anyone looked at the Viewsonic Viewpad 10 or similar as an
alternativ=
e?
> I also saw a small Samsung tablet which looked great but AFAIK is only
> available as 7". I particularly like the W7/Android duality of
the
> Viewsonic.
> >
> > Any experiences, opinions?
> >
> > Humbug.