Re: Central locking for houses

I've done something similar in the past by embedding a microswitch in
the lock frame and wiring it in series with the door reed switch.

That way, if you try to arm the alarm, the door is sensed as open unless
it's locked.

Cheap-n-cheerful _if_ you already have reed switches protecting your doors.

Steve

On 22/04/2010 13:46, Tim Ramsdale wrote:
> Sounds not to be a pleasant experience at all.
>
> We have had worries like this in the past - I used to have one of
these
> plastic front-doors that needs a key turn to stop it being opened from
the
> outside. It used to really spook me, and I'd leave the house then turn
back
> to check, and it would always be locked. Until the one time I turned
back
> and it wasn't....
>
> I have fitted all my external doors not with central locking (as I
worried
> about the insurance situation if for any reason the house had unlocked
> itself in the middle of the day), but instead with 'lock detection'.
The
> alarm won't arm unless all the external doors are locked.
>
> There are 2 ways I've done this...
> 1) Chubb locks with an integrated lock detection signal (done thru a
> microswitch within the lock assembly itself). This is then wired back
to the
> panel, or to a RF transmitter back to the panel.
> 2) Microswitch in the lock frame, detecting the deadbolts having been
locked
> in place.
>
> I've complemented this with standard door reed switches, so even if
the
> would-be burglar figures it out (or smashes the door off its hinges)
there
> is an immediate alarm at the point of entry. I worry a bit about PIRs
> letting the burglar further into the house than I'd like before the
alarm
> fires.
>
> Last of all, I have PIRs in the garden, and a reed switch on the side
gate.
> If these get triggered when the alarm is set then I get a SMS as a
> pre-warning of someone casing the joint. I've not been burgled yet -
usually
> it is just the postman leaving something round the back of the house!
>
> Finally, if the alarm does fire, all the lights go on full brightness
and
> the PC reads out the activated zone. This is particularly unpleasant
for
> false alarms at 2am, as it guarantees to wake the entire house.
Hopefully it
> would assist a speedy exit from my property of any would-be burglar.
Sadly
> the same setup is triggered if the shed is attacked also - which is
more
> prone to false alarms.
>
> HTH
>
> T.