Re: 67 terabyte 4U servers for $7,867

I've gone for Win2k8 with a motherboard that has 6 Sata slots plus a
controller card for another 2 Sata slots.
I have 7x1Tb drives at the moment - I'll start to replace them with 2Tb
drives when  the price comes down a bit more.

I avoided RAID for the following reasons:
1) RAID is not a backup.  With the price of 1Tb drives now below
£60, it makes more sense IMO to just make a copy and store it offsite.
2) I'm not tied into particular controller hardware.  If the Raid
controller fails, or I want to upgrade, I don't have to worry that I
won't be able to access my data.
3) I can gradually upgrade to larger disk sizes without any problems.

The machine also runs an IMAP mail server, hosts my intranet (which
provides the interface for media playback) and xPL.

As for BluRay ripping - AnyDVDHD is all you need.

Mal

Dean Barrett wrote:

> Amazing value for £4,500
>
> I just had a Demo of the iMerge media server - they do their own Raid
6
> storage unit 8 tb (6 usuable) - for around the same money @ trade cost
!!

> I know some people on here are running WHS to do the same job - do you
run
> other software on these boxes or just use them for storage.
>
> I would like to build a box that has 8tb in a Raid configuration but
have
> Slimserver, BluRay ripping facility all on one box - is this feasible
?

> If so has anyone any pointers to how to do it :)
>
> Dean.

On