Re: New Macs....so what hard drive and enclosures??

I just ordered a couple of iMACs for work as we use them, see
what=20=20
they're like when they finally arrive.

TBH if it's anything remotely valuable in the way of data that your=20=20
keeping, unless you're mirroring the drives, get some form of
reliable=20=20
storage as the drives will fail and you will lose your data. It isn't=20=20
a question of if, only when. And, I speak from bitter experience of=20=20
failed drives... repeatedly.

I now run a Thecus N5200, a Drobo attached to a TC and a WHS which is=20=20
about to have an eSATA enclosure attached. None of which makes my
data=20=20
totally 100% safe by any stretch but it is a whole heap better than=20=20
relying on the resilience of a few aged drives and a prayer.

Stay away from the network adaptor thing for the Drobo, it's useless.=20=20
I can give you one if you like but, for streaming video it's about as=20=20
much use as a chocolate firegaurd and, that's being kind to it.

1.5Tb drives are seriously good value ATM, I just got four Samsung=20=20
ones this morning from Ebuyer but they've not even been out the=20=20
wrapper yet. I'll get to it... sometime.

The Mini upgrade, good, but not mind blowing. If you can pick up a=20=20
last gen one for a lot less off Ebay or suchlike I'd say it was=20=20
probably no bad thing, the 2Ghz one is fine for most uses, you just=20=20
need to up the RAM (IMO) to 4Gb to get the most from it.

HTH

K.