Re: [OT] Low voltage kitchen lighting

On Sunday 11 October 2009 11:00:33 Tim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm putting some lights in my new kitchen and am looking for a bit of
> reassurance - Ideally I'd like to permanantly wire the transformers
and
> just switch the 12V by means of discreet surface mount LV switches
(which I
> am still seeking BTW).  would this be OK?  The transformers don't make
any
> noise or draw any current when there is no 12v current flow, so it
seems to
> me it would be OK.  I don't really want to have big 240V switches to
turn
> on under cabinet lights etc.
>
> Any thoughts greatly received.
>
> Tim

1.	Ensure the switches are rated for the lamp current.
2.	Supply the transformer from a fused, double pole isolator to protect
against faults and allow maintenance.
3.	Ensure that the transformer is a proper double wound device with a fully
isolated secondary, in case little fingers manage to find a way to touch
the
12V wiring.

I have used fused spur switches on the under-cabinet lights but I also have
RS
components push switches on cabinet lighting in the living room, they are a
joy to operate.

> BTW I hosted my Windows 7 launch party last night (AKA some pizza with
> friends) and got a copy of Windows 7 ultimage Signature edition as
well as
> goody bags, napkins, playing cards etc. for my trouble.  Sweet.

Of course you could have installed a robust, powerful linux operating
system
for free and not been bothered by trojans, worms and other assorted
windows-based malware, but you wouldn't have got the goody bags etc . . .

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu