RE: Re: [OT] Mac Vs Window (was [OT] 'kin Windows!)

> I'd go back to an Apple today but I am forced to buy over-priced
> hardware. I can't virtualise the OS to try before I buy. The
experience
> with the my iPod Touch 1st Generation being "forced" to use
iTunes and
> only allowed to use software Apple agree with is incredibly draconian
> in my view.

This is a good point - as the iPod has become more omnipresent as the
accepted form of portable media player then other applications have sprung
up to support their use - I use a program called XPlay for example to
manage
my iPod because I don't like the way iTunes does it.

Anyway, starting with the iPhone 3G Apple implemented the requirement for
two-way authentication between the iPhone / iPod and whatever device was
connected to them before the two would play ball and talk to each other ...
suddenly overnight hundreds of devices which were iPod compatible no longer
were, and I don't just mean things like iPod docks and music players which
had previously been able to extract the audio from iPods directly ... no,
this applied to things like chargers as well so suddenly your iPod charger
which works perfectly with your iPod Classic can no longer be used with
your
iPhone 3G. That's why you see notes on products which say "Not
compatible
with iPod Touch or iPhone 3G".

Of course Apple will sell manufacturers an authentication chip that then
has
to be redesigned into whatever products you are producing - this is a major
pain in the arse if your product is software based as they won't do an
equivalent software authentication (it obviously exists within iTunes).

Also they're sods for getting licences from for Apple Lossless playback - a
certain manufacturer I know of makes a "music server" that also
has stereo
audio outputs on the back of it (so it can play as well as rip &
store). It
can play AAC and Apple Lossless files perfectly well but can they get a
licence from Apple? Nope. Apple say "But it's a server so we can't
give you
a licence to play back" however they also won't say that it doesn't
need a
licence either so what do you do to avoid getting sued?

Phil