Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Modular alarm recommendations

Re: Universal Remote Control

  • Subject: Re: Universal Remote Control
  • From: "mwgardner2000" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:56:15 -0000

Thanks for all the comments chaps - I think I will stay with the
Pronto range. My 890 took one hell of a lot of programming, but it
has served me well.

I'm torn between the TSU9200 and 9400. The 9600/9800 are too
expensive for me, and also I'm not sure about the form factor.

I like the form factor of the 9200 and all the hard buttons, but
obviously thats at the expense of touch screen real estate. The 9400
is also pretty pricey but a larger screen might be useful.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Richard - http://www.isec-solutions.co.uk/
is one vendor who seems to
have all four models available. Google have other vendors.

Cheers
Mark

wrote:

> > I've got both a Pronto 9600 and a Harmony One, both of which i've
> had for
> > 12-18 months.
> >
> > The Pronto is everything the One is not, and vice-versa. The
Pronto is
> > ultimately configurable, you can change everything, make it look
> like you
> > want it to look and ensure every action is precisely what is
needed.
> If you
> > have unusual AV devices, it's no problem - just learn the code or
> discrete.
> >
> > The One is only configurable so far, making it a bit annoying to
set up.
> > Once it's working it's fine but I spent the best part of 3 months
> getting it
> > working right for my in-laws all house AV system. If you've got
any
> unusual
> > kit, you'll be lucky to get it working right. I had to buy an IR
> RS232
> > convertor to get a matrix switch working right.
> >
> > In terms of using the Pronto, it's all in how you set it up. The
hard
> > buttons are good and tactile, but if the stuff in the screen is
> complex or
> > hard to understand it may as well be a paper weight.
> >
> > So basically, my experience is that the Pronto costs 10x more and
is 10x
> > better to set up and use if it's configured well. If you have the
> cash, get
> > one and you won't be disappointed. If you don't and can live with
> the basic
> > setup and limitations of the Harmony remotes then they work very
> well. Just
> > don't expect them to be the same!
> >
> > Keith

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109