Re: 1 wire temperature monitoring

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@...> wrote:

> How do you mount the sensors around the house? Has anyone found
> anything easy to use?
>
> I assume I you use Cat5 cable to loop into and out of each sensor.
> I guess you 'splice' the sensor onto the Cat5 cable at a suitable
> point?

I ran about 70-80m of 4-wire telephone cable around the house for
1-wire use. I'm using 3-wire signals rather than parasitic power. So
far I've only wired up 4 temp sensors but some more of them finally
arrived just before Xmas along with a panel-mount iButton reader so
I'll be wiring up the rest shortly.

I originally intended to cut the cable wherever I wanted a temp sensor
and was going to solder in the sensors but this proved too fiddly so I
ended up buying some of these small(-ish) PCB terminal blocks from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30049

and then just twisted the "in" and "out" wire pairs
together and then
screwed them in together with the relevant pin of the temp sensor. As
the cabling is mounted inside plastic trunking I simply made a hole on
the front of the trunking for the temp sensor to poke out.

Stuart, the PCB terminal blocks you use in your adaptor seem to be
physically smaller than the ones I'm using - can you let me know where
I might buy some of those ones online?

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109