Re: Re: Mac Mini and External Firewire Drives

Previously I have just purchased empty firewire boxes and then just
installed the quietest HDs. Either Samsung or WD.

You can get firewire enclosures that can take 2 or more disks and hence you
could setup RAID 1.

Ho Yin

On 01/01/2008, noel_pilot <HA@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking to do something similar shortly, first thing to bear in
> mind is that I believe the mini only has Firewire 400, which should
> increase the availability of drives.
> Cheers
> Noel
> Happy New Year!
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>,
"rb_ziggy" <
> rb.lists@...> wrote:
> >
> > I think this may be a question for Phil Harris but input from
others
> > very welcome.
> >
> > I use a Mac Mini as a HTPC - mainly for (ripped) DVD playback.
Thus
> > far it's been a bit experimental but I'm happy with the set up
now so
> > am ripping DVDs.
> >
> > To date I've been using a NAS unit with 512Mb (after raid 1).
This
> > has been fine for MP3s, storage of photos and general personal
network
> > storage for the family. But not enough for DVDs at 7Gb per disc
(I
> > dont want to compress the Video_TS format).
> >
> > So I'm thinking of firewire (800) attaching more storage direct
to the
> > Mini (in this case it doesn't need to be directly NAS as most
duty
> > will be direct to the Mac and if I need further network
access,the Mac
> > can act as a server). So looking for suggestions on SMALL and
QUIET