Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?

  • Subject: Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?
  • From: "Ben McCormack" <yahoogroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:41:22 -0000

All

I am getting to the final stages of planning a complete house renovation
including full
rewire, as part of this I intend to automate the property and try and
integrate systems as
much as possible.

I was hoping to have my plans checked by the knowledge of the group!

Audio - 5 Zones
-------------
Sonos running from Mini Mac - 5 Zone Players and 4 Remotes

Video
-------
Multiple Hacked Apple TVs
KAT5 Units for Limited Tivo Distribution

Lighting
----------
CBUS Dimmers with Neo Switches in most rooms

Alarm
--------
Comfort with CBUS Module
PIR in each room

Heating Control
-------------
Hometronic with Relay input module to Comfort

IR
----
I would like to be able to achieve 2 things
1. IR Distribution around the house ie for Remote Tivo
2. Use IR to control some systems ie When PIR in the Kitchen is activated
then send an IR
command to turn the TV in the kitchen on (Just an example)

For IR Distribution I will use either Xantech or Keene

For IR control and intelligence I was planning to use Comfort. Would this
be the right thing
to use?

Cabling
-------
Planning multiple CAT5e runs to each room in the house wired back to Patch
Panels in the
loft where most of the equipment will be located.

Temperature Monitoring
---------------------
Independent of the Hometronic system I may want to add temperature
monitoring to each
room. I am intend to run Cat5 cables to each room so I could use 1-Wire
sensors.

System Intelligence
----------------

One question that I have is regarding where the intelligence should sit?
I would like to be able to do things similar to this

If the time is later than 16:00
AND
Alarm is unset
AND
No lights are on in the lounge
THEN
Turn on Lights A,B and C in the Lounge

If a specific IR command is sent
AND
Alarm is unset
AND
Time is after 09:00
THEN
Turn Heating on in the Office
AND
Send IR command to switch TV on

Can Comfort handle this sort of Logic processing? Is there any other logic
engine I should
be considering? HomeVision?

System Control
-------------

Webcontrol of all systems is essential
Ideally I would like to have touchscreen but these will probably be too
expensive unless
someone has a cheaper alternative?

CCTV
-----
Not in the current plans. Could use IP Cameras at a later date.
Considering if a Video door phone integrated into comfort may be an idea

So, are these plans any good? Have I missed anything obvious out?

Any input will be appreciated

Ben