Re: [Slightly OT] Bolier woes

  • Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Bolier woes
  • From: "JonS" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 11:45:45 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Neil Ball" <neilball@...>
wrote:

> If you want to integrate several heat sources then you need to be
looking at
> thermal stores/heat banks - generally cylinders with multiple coils
for
> connecting to the boiler, solar panel, back boiler etc. This keeps
the water
> in the different heat sources hydraulically isolated, supplies heat
directly
> to the heating system from the tank and uses a plate heat exchanger
> instantaneously heat your hot water thereby supplying mains quality
water
> direct to your hot taps .

I would add is that for a system that can deliver 2 simultaneous
showers worth of water you will have to go for a more expensive type
of thermal store, as the simple cheaper ones (such as via Navitron)
cannot deliver.
Also you will be restricted by the number of plumbers willing to
install this type of system.  I couldn't find one in south Suffolk :-
( so went for a conventional main pressure system.
Note the thermal store will almost certainly be mains pressure, esp
if you have a system boiler. If you want to avoid mains pressure tank
at 80-90C you need to match the heat sources and tanks coils etc etc
v carefully.

> If you want very
> good quality and need a larger boiler output then I would suggest
the Broag
> Remeha Quinta 30 (28kW output). This can be used with 0-10v input
from an
> external controls system to control the boiler output which gives
scope for
> some HA at a later date. I come across them regularly on larger
homes and
> have found both the boiler range and service from Broag Remeha to
be first
> rate.

Its nice to hear Broag get a good writeup, I've just had an Advanta
Plus fitted. Do you know if the 0-10V input applies?  I didn't find
the consumer facing web site too helpful.

Jon