Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Vario II Users (and other WM machines...)

Re: Dimmable CFLs and UK government ban

  • Subject: Re: Dimmable CFLs and UK government ban
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:17:36 -0000

I've just come back from the Housebuilding & Renovating Show /
Smarthome.  These units were on display and I had quite a long talk
with the gent who, I think is the MD and developer.

These are really much much better than anything I've seen before.  The
20w dimmable unit is brighter and whiter (well no surprise on the
second point) than a 100w bulb - its too bright to look at undimmed.

Dimming seems to work very well down to very low levels and they have
intelligence built into one version in that you can set the level and
it remembers next time its switched on.

I noticed a slight lag when turned on initially.  Otherwise good.

As said below, only in bayonet and screw at the launch but they aim to
do a GU10 in 6 months.  But... I don't think it will a straight switch
into existing fittings.  I think he was saying it would be a complete
unit that would fit into a ceiling hole etc and would be fully sealed
(new building regs perhaps???)

For me - definitely something to watch out for.  Nice to see an
innovative, quality product.

Richard

> These look v interesting but they only seem to come in bayonet or
screw
> fitting (e22, B27) rather than GU10 or similar.  This makes sense as
they
> look closer in dimensions to a standard bulb but much too long to fit
in
> many downlighters.
>

> My current plan is to have "main lights" on a switch using
CFLs of
one sort
> and then "aux lights" on a dimmer.  I'd like these to be
low-energy
but as