[OT] Expired domain names

I want to buy a domain name that expired a couple of days ago. Has
anyone done this before?

Is there a 40 day period that I have to wait after the expiration date
before I buy it? Will I just be able to find it by searching on a
registry site?

I have seen programs on the internet which do something for you and
help you get the domain as soon as it expires?? Do I need something
like that?

Thanks

Ho yin