Latest message you have seen: RE: VPN or other solution from iPhone to HA server?

Re: Dimmable CFLs and UK government ban

  • Subject: Re: Dimmable CFLs and UK government ban
  • From: "JonShaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:47:41 -0000

> PS: Apologies if this has already been posted, Gmail/Yahoo have
been
> bouncing posts for the last few days.

I've also had problems with bounced mail and had also just posted on this
topic!

BBC has an article on it:

> So I was quite interested to see this Uk supplier coming soon:
>  <http://tinyurl.com/2og2g8> http://tinyurl.com/2og2g8

These look v interesting but they only seem to come in bayonet or screw
fitting (e22, B27) rather than GU10 or similar.  This makes sense as they
look closer in dimensions to a standard bulb but much too long to fit in
many downlighters.

My current plan is to have "main lights" on a switch using CFLs
of one sort
and then "aux lights" on a dimmer.  I'd like these to be
low-energy but as
someone mentioned it doesn't look like CFL is the right technology and
maybe
superbright LEDs are, but not yet.

>So can we get back to the point of slagging off CFLs now ...

Both CFLs and LEDs need to be developed if they are to replace GU10 type
fittings.  I cannot see them introducing a ban until there is a GU10 type
replacement.  Given the variation in dimming technologies for CFLs I hope
that low-energy GU10 replacements will work with standard trailing edge
dimmers.and two wires . but to be on the safe side I'll probably install
3-core + earth cable.

FWIW there seems to be a ban in Australia coming up, anyone know what C-bus
are doing in this area?  As it is their home market they should be ahead of
the europeans.

> One of the things that has put me off CFLs is that early on it was
> recommended not to switch them on and off frequently since this
> drastically reduced their life. But none of the greenie sites ever
> seem to mention this, so it's not clear to me whether this problem
>has  been fixed or merely swept under the carpet on the basis that it's
> better to leave 25% of the energy consumption on all the time than
> light it 25% less.

It would be good to have an answer to that one . sounds like a problem for
Which? Or similar to look into.

Jon