Latest message you have seen: Re: VPN or other solution from iPhone to HA server?

Re: Dimmable CFLs and UK government ban

Personally I'll be buying a loft full of ordinary bulbs + halogen
ones.
I have to use high wattage bulbs to test the UPSs I sell!   So I've
got no choice.

I did try a couple of 11watt energy saving bulbs in my home to
replace 60watt bulbs.  Even after they had warmed up, they were so
dim I could  barely see the floor.  And they only lasted twice as
long as an ordinary bulb, compared to the claim they can last up to
8 times as long.  Maybe they last 8 times as long if you never
switch them off but where is the energy saving in that.

That's my only experience with the energy saving type but I guess in
reality, if I want to replace an ordinary 60watt bulb I will need
about a 30watt energy saving bulb?
What's other people's experience?

And I read an article which said it takes more energy to manufacture
and recycle the energy saving bulbs.  Also you can't use them in
fridges, freezers, cookers, microwaves, etc because of the extreme
temperatures.  And I guess there isn't a low energy version to
replace low voltage down-lighters?
Personally I'm not a fan of energy saving bulbs.   :-(
Regards
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "David Gumbrell"
<david.gumbrell@...>