Latest message you have seen: Sonos Release Free iPhone Controller App

Re: Future proofing cabling to downlighters with C-BUS

  • Subject: Re: Future proofing cabling to downlighters with C-BUS
  • From: "JonShaw" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:03:09 -0000

>If I wanted to move to dimmable CFL's in the future and providing
that
the C-BUS hardware was available to do this, what cables do I need to
lay now.

I have already wired using 2.5 T&E in case I want to go LV for
whatever reason using a common tranny in the garage, but I understand
dimmable CFL's will require a 3rd wire, what is this for, heating element?

To play it safe now would it be advisable to lay some CAT5 along the
T&E? or should I be using 3 core cable?

<

I've been looking at kitchen wiring recently too and recalled this post .

I understand that there are several "standards" for dimming CFLs
one of
which using a 3rd wire to offer a 1-10V signal to the unit to telling how
dimmed it should be.  Other standards do not use this but for future
proofing it cannot hurt.

Cable thickness: I used the volt drop calculator on TLC
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

And shocked myself by finding that to run 4 50W 12V halogens off a single
transformer over 5m would require 10mm cable!!! (if I've understood it
right!)

Similarly with 2.5mm cable you would only be able to run a single 50W bulb
:-/

This is why I think local transformers are so common for LV systems and why
mains halogen seems so good (to me)

The disadvantage of mains holgen seems to be start-up loads burning out the
dimmers.

Cold filament = low resistance fire 240V and as the filament warms the
current drawn can be enough to burnout the dimmer.  Hence dimmers often get
de-rated for this type of application.

>From discussions I have had with Karam@idratek their dimmers do contain
some
overload protection but he still thinks they need to be derated to 75%
rated
load when using mains hologens.  He also recommends fitting a
suppressor/snubber across halogens to help combat this start-up surge.
This
is well described in this guide which I think looks applicable to any
automated relay dimming system be it C-bus idratek etc
http://www.idratek.com/public/WiringNotes/Guidelines%20-%20Electrical%20Swit
ching%20Considerations.pdf

HTH

Jon