Latest message you have seen: Re: Water Tank Installation Update (long post)

Re: Ceiling Speakers - Advice Needed

  • Subject: Re: Ceiling Speakers - Advice Needed
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:58:34 -0000

I think it is difficult to really give a view of one type on in
ceiling speaker vs another but... I'm pretty sure that one that's
designed with performance in mind is going to be better than one
designed down to an cheap price.  Of course the counter argument is
that 'dressed-up hi-fi stuff' is going to receive a massive markup etc. =
=20

While I haven't directly compared in-ceiling speakers I can say that
the Russounds:

- are definitely much better quality (clarity, treble and base) than
all the more portable speakers in radios, cd players etc (including a
nice Tivoli Radio that we had);

- are on a par with any similar freestanding/bookshelf type speakers
in the =A3100 - =A3200 bracket;=20

- are really not in the same league as my floorstanding Castle
speakers in the lounge which cost 6-7 times as much!

- but are more than enough for listening to the radio through to
blasting it out at parties.=20=20

Personally if you are driving the speakers with anything approaching a
reasonable quality amp and source, it seems daft to scrimp on the last
link in the chain.  Of course, you can still spend a lot more than I
did on in ceiling stuff - Take a look at Sonance (they have a very
good reputation though).=20=20

(I'd agree about firm mounting - ours isn't Fermacell but 15mm
plasterboard and is again backed by sound deadening rockwool.)=20

If you are anywhere near Norwich (being aware that that phrase is an
oxymoron) that Cyberselect (.co.uk) do have a range on comparative
display.  I bought my stuff through them - service very good.=20=20

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tracey Gardner"
<tracey.gardner@...>
wrote:

> Just taken a look at the KEF Ci160s!
> At =A3132 each that's =A3264 a room, with 10 rooms to do that's quite
bit of=20