Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Old laptop wanted with parallel port

Re: Extending solid Cat5e cable?

*    Cat5 can be joined and a firmly mounted punch down (krone) block
is
probably the best - but be careful with your CAT5e and even more careful
with 1GB CAT6 stuff* as the wiring requirements are much tighter (closer
termination and twist distances etc). Or you could put a mini patch
panel in an intermediate but still accessible place, with all cables
effectively 'joined' at one place  ? You mention Gigabit Cat5e below
which may already be overstepping the cabling spec you have.  The lower
speeds will probably tolerate soldering with heatshrink sleeving too but
will be physically weaker and prone to later corrosion/flow/conductivity
issues.
All in all I think I'd feel much happier with non joined runs but if
you can get at the joins it's maybe not too bad.... at least at <=
100Mbits/sec.  Having the joins not accessible I suspect is asking for
later issues but maybe you will be able to add supplementary new/backup
cables as well ??

for Cat5 / 5e /6 comparison see
http://www.ucisa.ac.uk/groups/ng/docs/ChoosingCat5Cat6.htm