Latest message you have seen: Re: VPN and proxy server

Re: 64bit or 32bit

aashram wrote:

> Rob have used the 9500 ? Any tips or comments? I have the 12port
> I think is was 2tb not 2gb :-)
> Now weighing up linux against windows 2k3 option

Yes, I have the same model with a 2.5Tb array at present. I'm using it with
XP64, but only because I
want to run some Windows software on the server.  I did try it with Fedora
and the array worked fine
there, but creating the filesystem took ages - it's just been too long
since I last played with Linux.

I did find that the SATA cables that came with my hot-swap cages didn't
work too well with the card,
but that's probably the fault of the cables.

wrote:

>  > aashram wrote:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> I think I will stick with 32bit as longs as the pci-x slot
still
> works in
>  >> 64bit.
>  >
>  > Yes, it will. Note however that to have a single array that is
larger
> than
>  > 2GB you'll need to
>  > install either XP64 or Win2K3 SP1 if you're going with Windows.
Linux (or
>  > FreeBSD I believe) on the
>  > other hand has no problems with larger arrays. The 9500 also has
an
> option to
>  > automatically split
>  > large arrays into 2GB chunks if you want to stick with 32-bit
XP.