Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

1-Wire advice please

  • Subject: 1-Wire advice please
  • From: "kw1816" <kw1816@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:59:20 -0000

1-Wire advice please

I've just ordered my first set of 1-wire bits, the serial interface
and 10 DS18S20's which should be arriving soon. My plan is to
integrate it into Homeseer to provide temperature monitoring in each
room in the house. I'm hoping that someone familiar with 1-wire
networks can have a quick look at the following :

Network:
1 run of unshielded CAT5e cable, daisy chained to each room from
Node 0.
When I install the cable I plan on pulling the cable to the end
location and work backwards dropping a 6-8" loop through the ceiling
at each location.
Does the open end need terminating in any way or just end with a
DS1820 connection ?

Sensor mounting:
I plan to ceiling mount the DS18S20's in these
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=EN55575
For the physical connection to the network I was planning on using
small choc block connector strips with the DS18S20 free on one side
and the cable on the other side. Should fit nicely into the
enclosure above.

Watchouts:
I've seen mention of fitting a 100 ohm pull up resistor to the
DS18S20's - is it necesary on this size network ?
Is the enclosure above a good choice - I'm not after total accuracy
for the temperature reading but would like it to be representative.
What other options exist for connecting and fixing the DS1820's ?

Thanks
Kevin W.