Is Z-wave the right choice for me?

  • Subject: Is Z-wave the right choice for me?
  • From: "Ho Yin" <architect.hoyin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:20:48 -0000

I posted this a day ago - but does not seem to have appeared on
yahoogroups??

Apologies if it is a repost though.

___

Ho Hum ...

Time has come to get my HA system sorted out for my new place.

My requirements are as follows:

1. Web controlled - want to be able to access all the settings easily
via the internet on my Vario II and get status.

2. Wireless components - I can only use wireless components as it is a
refurb though I guess X10 could be an option?

3. Easy replace standard fittings such as light switches with new
wireless ones - much like the Rako system. I want to also be able to
remove them and take them with me when I leave.

4. I don't need an extensive system, but one that I can start off
small with and slowly expand when I either move to a larger place or
when I decide more things need to be automated.

The first things I need to control are:

a) Lights
b) Curtains
c) Security camera

d) heating + hot water if possible - but not essential if it entails
quite a bit of money.

And it needs to look nice and be unobtrusive and not require
programming with xml or whatever you technical boffs call it! I can
handle simple programing via a setup interface but no more than that
please!

It needs to have an easily managable front end that SWMBO can use as well.

Initial thoughts are:

Homeseer?

Plus Z-wave - can I integrate Rako as well? I like the look of their
light switches!

Budget - Under =A31000

Thanks,

Ho yin