RE: Firewall setup for 24/7 server

I would say just trust the  Vigor, and open as few ports as possible.

Basically, the NAT translation gives quite a high degree of defense in and
of itself - there are not that many ways to get through a NAT router, and
the Vigor also has a (pretty basic) stateful inspection firewall built in.

I have been using a Vigor 2600VGI at the edge of my home network for years
now, and never had an issue.

I currently have an SBS2003 sitting behind it, with the usual ports open
(80,443,25) and the rest of my network behind the SBS (but that's really
only because SBS likes acting as the "edge" device itself..)

Ian.