Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Hello All! I'm looking for advice!

  • Subject: Hello All! I'm looking for advice!
  • From: "john855042" <jdwinter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:28:52 -0000

Hello All,

I hope you can offer me some advice as I take my first steps into the=20
world of home automation!

First =96 about me =96 10 years engineering in the following fields,=20
CCTV, Data networks, Telephone systems, Alarm systems, Distributed TV=20
systems, Electronic design (embedded controllers). For the last 6=20
years I have been involved in medical instrumentation, but still keep=20
an active interest in all my old fields. I have currently around the=20
house 4 PC's not including work laptops, and I have built them all=20
from scratch, and spend a lot of time tinkering. I would hope then=20
that I have at least some of the skills required to design and fit a=20
HA system!

I'm moving into a new house in the coming weeks and I have realised=20
that all the systems that I want =96 CCTV, Security, Telephone, Video=20
Door Entry, Distributed AV and Heating control could all be=20
integrated into a HA system. I used to fit most of the above systems=20
as separate entities so I have my own ideas about the kit required=20
but I need a rethink when it comes to HA.

Hopefully someone can offer advice on the best system to use. On my=20
wishlist =96

HDTV in Living room  - to have Sky HD and Xbox 360 connected (xbox360=20
is a MCE client) =96 PIP for video door entry and CCTV events
Media Server (MCE/TVersity?)/HA server
CCTV (2-3 cameras)
Alarm System (panel to interface to HA?)
External Lighting & control
IP phone system?

I want to be able to distribute Sky =96 maybe via IP or Svideo. At the=20
moment HD will only be in the living room.

I would like something like wall mounted `clients' - touchscreen LCD=20
perhaps, that can interface with the server to control events,=20
display video or send AV to other local displays. I'm thinking of=20
nanoItx PC's with Linux webbrowsers and Lilliput touchscreens.

OK- what I really need to know first is what wiring recommendations=20
should I follow to cover every eventuality. I'm thinking of 2 Cat5e,=20
2 audio, and 3 or 4 RG59's to every client point from the patch=20
panel. I don't want to have to pull up floorboards and chase walls=20
twice. (my wife wouldn't stand for it!)=20
Also any suggestions on the viability and software choices of my=20
project would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation,

John