Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..

  • Subject: Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:04:45 -0000

> 2x 2GB or 4x1GB currently? I see this board has 4 slots.

I'm running 2 x 2Gb - I knew 4Gb might be a little light for a
machine that I expect to be running more VMs as time goes on.

I couldn't find 4Gb PC-6300 modules... :(

> Yeah may be time for another penguin bash here- although I don't
trust ext3
> since it munched a whole partition- the drive still reports as
perfect.

Well, you can use other Filesystems with the RAID setup - basically,
you create a partition on each disk of type "Linux RAID
autodetect",
then assemble these together using mdadm - they present a virtual
RAID volume, which can be formatted with whichever filesystem you
prefer.

> So any idea what the power usage is on this box?

no, I don't actually - but I do have one of the Maplin power meters -
if I get the chance to power the guy down over the weekend, I'll
check how much juice it takes.