Latest message you have seen: RE: The iPhone 4 - Our First Impressions, Good and Bad

Re: [OT] Help to set up a Virgin cable modem fro broadband access

Is this a standalone modem - not part of a TV set top box setup ?

I have no NTL/Virgin software installed on my PC's -  and I use a router
between modem and further switches.   My router acquires its IP from the
modem by DHCP so I am sure a standalone PC can too.  I see no need for
any Virgin software bar the ease of configuration.

I originally had an (Avaya?) modem but it failed and they swapped it a
couple of months back for a very small translucent blue modem that just
has NTL-250 written on the back sticker.   (On the front it just says
"Cable Modem"). Not sure if that's the same one your mum has,
probably
branded Virgin now ?

I had a Neil Ball wrote:
> I'm stuck trying to help my mum set up her PC to use a new Virgin
broadband
> connection and I live 250 miles away so we are trying to do this over
the
> phone! Her PC runs Windows ME so cannot use the setup disc provided by
> Virgin as it needs Windows 2000 or XP. I'm sure that the cable modem
could
> be used with a router but am struggling to get Virgin to confirm this.
They