RE: Wireless routers...

There's plenty of 802.11a kit out there being produced by the big names
(D-Link, NetGear, CISCO etc.) in the UK on sale - as far as I understand
there are no legal issues with it being used over here at all.

It's just that 11a seems to have been regarded as a "business"
product and
all of the domestic innovation has been to constantly blat out new and
generally (IMO) pointless "standards" that aren't standards.

At the moment here I can see *NINE* wireless access points (including mine)
- five of them being BT HomeHubs - with three of those nine having appeared
over this bank holiday weekend alone! The 2.4GHz spectrum is just so
massively overcrowded here that there seems to be so much contention
between
the various networks that I guess probably no-one is getting any decent
throughput...

Phil