RE: PC Speech Recognition

  • Subject: RE: PC Speech Recognition
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:51:47 +0100

> >Looking into it how deeply?
> >
> enough to work-out how far we should go & what appraoch we
> should take (what to rely on it for)

But you also seem to have been restricting yourself to the budget end of
voice recognition solutions...

> we don't want to subject guests to a training programme whe
> the arrive !

You're going to have to train them when they arrive anyway as they'll be
looking for light switches and remotes...

> >Perhaps find out the issues they have rather than presuming
> what they might
> >be?
> >
> thanks !

Well, doesn't it seem sensible to find out what the issues are with it and
then you can find out whether they can be addressed or whether you need to
look at other solutions...

> >The are some excellent audio output cards available for PC
> if you need high
> >quality output and in the case of input (which is more
> relevent here) then
> >there are all manner of quality solutions at prices ranging
> from the merely
> >eyebrow-lifting to the criminally insane. If you wish you
> can even do all
> >the analogue to digital and digital to analogue conversion
> away from the PC
> >and simply feed bitsreams of audio in or out so I don't see
> what is to be
> >desired - perhaps you simply mean at the budget you are
> willing to spend?
> >
> of course there are, but that's not what people are generally
> using ...

Here I think you are barking up the wrong tree ... Standard PC audio
hardware (the analogue to digital conversion process) is more than good
enough quality to handle the fairly meagre demands placed upon it by voice
recognition. It's the analogue pre-processing (gates, limiters, mixers) and
the digital post processing (software analysis of captured data) that is
the
"problem".

> location is part of it, but distinguishing is more the point here ...

Location is pretty easy without requiring "stereo" - at its
simplest it can
be determined by which room mic is picking up the voice.

I don't understand how feeding stereo mics into something like ViaVoice
will
help ViaVoice distinguish what you are saying.

Phil