Re: HTPC - what card?

Paul Gale wrote:

> Will a hardware MPEG-2 decoder be of any use if I'm not recording?

Well, it'll play back MPEG2, not sure if it works with the flavour found
on DVDs, but chances are that you're going to have MPEG4 content too,
which it definitely won't help with.

> I suppose the other benefit of the 250 is the IR capability - which
> is important for me.

I wouldn't get hung up on that, a serial port receiver (or indeed
emitter) is trivial to build if you've got a bit of soldering ability -
see the pages on lirc.org.  Assuming you've got a serial port, that is
(but then a PCI serial card is going to be dirt cheap if the motherboard
doesn't have one).  You can then use a remote of your choosing - there
are some nice one-for-all remotes that look a lot prettier than the
Hauppauge effort.

Kim.