Re: HTPC - what card?

Paul Gale wrote:

> Any suggestions as to video/accelerator card I should go for?
> Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 seems to be recommended a lot ? is this still
> a good card to go for for what I need?

The PVR250 is an excellent card, and well supported in MythTV, but
you've already stated that you don't need recording capability (which is
all the 250 does).  The obvious options are therefore pretty much any
Geforce card (the Nvidia drivers are by far the best for TV output on
Linux), or perhaps the WinTV PVR350, which contains a hardware MPEG2
decoder (with composite/s-video output) as well as an encoder equivalent
to that in the PVR250.

The Geforce option is going to be considerably cheaper, and probably
easier to configure (I believe getting the OSD to work with the 350 is
non-trivial, though I've never used one myself).

Kim.