Re: Network video server for cameras

I have the video server that you refer to, from the same supplier. It has
been up and in place for about six months during that time it has worked
fine expect for one occassion when it froze. Overall I am pleased with it
but it does have some limitations, mostly on motion detection, as follows;

1. You can only have 1 camera selected if you want to use motion detection.
If more than one is selected then the 'poll' of the cameras generates a
motion detection incident.
2. I can  not get FTP to work on motion detection, which may be my
technical
skills, however mail works fine I upload my images to a dedicated google
mail account which can hold about 3 weeks of 2 cameras (different video
servers).
3. Motion detection is generated by changes in the picture content, it is
amazing how many birds fly past, shadows occur or branches blow in the wind
on what I thought was a 'static' picture.
4. The power supply runs a little hot (in practise this has not been an
issue)
5. I am not using any audio in (I don't have a requirement at the moment)
6. I have not managed to see a picture outside my LAN, I can get through to
the video server from the office but just get  the  web page with a blue
screen where the picture should be. On my network at home I can see the
picture from nay connected PC including an Audrey.
7. You can connect upto 4 cameras but only one audio device. You can also
take an output to a TV (I haven't tried this)
8. If more than 1 device is attached you can select which cameras to look.
9. You can round robin between the selected cameras automatically
10. The display will either show a single camera view or the same view
split
into 4,9 or 16 parts each part is updated in turn.
11. The unit has a tendancy to keep poor time resulting in wrong time codes
12. It prefers IE to Firefox (functionality is reduced, from that described
above as you appear to only have a single camera perspective)
13 installation was simple.

I also have a CCTV with embedded server from the same people. I can use the
same web interface for both devices. It is worth checking the website
before
bidding on eBay, I found them cheaper than the 'bid' price on a few
occasions, although I see the link you provided is a buy it now.

Hope this helps

Steve