Re: VOIP softphone vs Hardphone

On 10/02/2006 at 18:43 noel_pilot wrote:

>Hey all,
>Quick one for you, im trying to get more into using my sipgate line
>which I use xlite on my ibook.  I find it pretty unreliable, often not
>often able to make calls, often it drops calls, patchy quality etc etc.
>
>If I invest in a proper voip phone or adapter Sipura etc will this
>make it better?! is it the softphone software (which appears pretty
>pants) thats flaky or is it my connection!?  (Im on 4mb telewest which
>is due to go up to 10meg)

At least 1 person I know said sipgate was pants. It's not just the down
speed
of your connection that counts either.. both the up speed and the latency
are
things you need to take into account. You should also take a look at which
codec
you are using.

I've heard good reports on Gradwell and their service. They can give you a
number in most places iirc

Andy